Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pot could help not hurt.

I must start by saying I have never smoked marijuana nor do I have any desire to use it at all.  It is estimated that 100 million Americans have used marijuana that is almost 1 in 3.  It is less addictive then alcohol with about a 9% for marijuana compared to 15%  for alcohol.  With this it is estimated about 9 million regularly use marijuana in spite of it being illegal, because of this the government spends an estimated $10.7 billion on law enforcement to fight it.  In addition to this marijuana is estimated at being a $113 billion a year business that goes to fund criminals.  Now if that was taxed at just 10% would be an additional $11.3 billion.  Between the cost saving in law enforcement and additional tax is another $22 billion.  It also would give more room in prisons for the increase in fraud caused by the new smoking law I talked about in my last post.  Implying the same rule of not giving government help to those who used marijuana.  This could be maybe a forth of cigarettes smokers if it did that would be another $55 billion.  Those are low estimates at $77 billion from making marijuana legal.  Between my last post and this post I showed how to save nearly $300 billion and hurt few.  Thank you for reading please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment